I always wondered why a lovely cut garden full of a beautiful assortment of flowers in a rainbow of colours made me feel better. I don’t decorate my apartment with any flowers, not usually. Today I decided as part of my changes that I would start putting some flowers around. I also want to get some lovely house plants.
Flowers don’t usually last forever, that is when they are used to brighten a home. Some last longer than others, those that haven’t bloomed yet will last longer. Price is not an issue, because if you go to any garage forecourt in England or to any supermarket, or even flower shops, they will have an array of cheap bunches for sale from £3-5. I managed to get some today from a flower shop in Cheshire. They had some reduced bunches outside the shop at £2 each and included plenty of flowers. I also bought some lillies, they are big and have yet to bloom. They are purple/lilac in colour. I then went to another shop in another part of Cheshire and bought a vase from a flower shop. Given the price of the bunches you can get outside, I am probably now going to buy myself some every week. The price is low being a couple of pounds and they will last around 2 weeks (?) I am not sure, but apparently 7-12 days is what you should expect.
I’ll move on to the benefits of actually having flowers in the home:
- Bright colours boost mood – Having a lovely vibrant bouquet in your home can significantly boost mood. Why? Bright colours impact how we think and feel. Check out the link to see another post on that. Bright reds and oranges, purples and blue can all boost how you feel. All of them will make you calm as plants and flowers are great at reducing stress and anxiety. When choosing flowers let your instincts guide you as your body knows what it needs, don’t be put off if you suddenly like a colour you never did before. Flowers can speak to us…
- They smell fantastic – smell might improve how you feel too! Because of the wide choice of flowers, you also have options with smell. How does a rose compare to a lily? What about lavender to jasmine? Flowers are the source for essential oils, it is the essence of compressed flowers that makes the oil. Thus, if you can find a flower you like you will undoubtedly find something similar in oils. They smell great, freshening the air and aerating any space. The proximity to the flowers will matter. I wouldn’t recommend inhaling the scent of flowers all day either as you may have symptoms of hayfever from the pollen.
- Purifying the air in our home – plants and flowers alike will take in carbon dioxide and spew out oxygen as part of the process of photosynthesis. Although certain big plants will help more than flowers, there are flowers like peace lilies which are supposed to be good at this. So, even though you might be able to open a window, adding flowers around the home can also boost the quality regardless. Adding some in the bathroom might be a good idea? I find gazing into a vase of flowers whilst in the bath to be somewhat relaxing.
- Welcoming environment and conversation starters – When I enter someone’s home and see flowers I feel immediately relaxed and that I somehow understand that person just a little bit more. Sounds ridiculous at first… but think about it. If you have flowers in your living room or bedroom or wherever, kitchen for example, and the guest sees them, they may comment on them almost immediately. That is why they are great conversation starters. If you feel nervous about socialising then talk about the plants and the flowers. The flowers are not shy so feel free to talk to them as well. Yes, they do help to create a home you can be happy to live in. I really do love lilies simply because they are so beautiful. Having just one vase of lilies can be enough to make even the angriest of guests docile and accepting.
- Improved self love and care – When you take active steps to improve your wellbeing or to be a better person, you are already one step closer to healing all your issues and being in a state of peace. You might think that flowers are somehow only for women or that it just seems uncool to have them. Having flowers and plants to improve how you feel is a great step to showing yourself some self love and care. By caring for the flowers through observation and watering you can develop and in fact care for yourself. Reducing stress, anxiety, making you feel good are all flowers qualities.
How do you feel about this post? Would you agree that flowers are beneficial to the home? Are flowers not just something you buy once in a while for a special occasion? Don’t hesitate if you see some flowers in the shop you like, taking decisions like this can make you feel more confident. Being able to live in a home full of beautiful flowers from nature, the earth and beyond are important. Remember my post on frequencies and the recent post on emotions of colours? Check the emotions of colours post to see how they can impact us. Lavender, being calming with protective properties are suitable for myself but you may want to experiment with how a particular flower makes you feel. If you want to be a bit wild, there is no limits. You have a rainbow of colours available.
Take the time to find your local florist or shop or any that you like. Who knows what will happen. There is no need to buy anything. When you are developing and journeying it is not expected that you will always be so bold, but you can work past this. You could also go and pick some wild flowers. Now that spring has started, they will all be rising up for you to see. Be careful when picking flowers as it might not be allowed on private grounds!
*A 3 hours video demonstrating planet earths incredible gift to us. Flowers.*